A few things have been going around my mind today so I’m going to copy The Realist and make a few points under one, easy to digest post. Lazy? Oh yes.
- Speaking today, Tony Blair said that church leaders should play a bigger role in society. No, they shouldn’t. He also said churches make a “visible, tangible difference for the better in society”. No, they don’t.
- Hospital superbug MRSA has claimed its youngest victim so far: a 36-hour-old baby. Who wants to bet that the Conservative Party won’t try to make political capital out of this tragedy within the next two days? They’ve been grabbing at straws trying to stake a claim for any populist political cause lately. Even more than usual. Anything to get media coverage, usually appealing to the baser instincts. Immigrants, abortion, gypsies, the EU convention on human rights, the toast landing buttered side down – if they think people don’t like it, they’ll build a policy around it. I saw one of their campaign ads the other day, which simply says, in a mock, “common sense” statement: “I mean, how difficult can it be to clean a hospital?”. The idea that the NHS would be safer under a Tory government is so laughable it doesn’t even warrant consideration. It’d be like making Colonel Sanders patron saint of chickens.
- The Terri Schiavo ruling. I don’t know whether it is right or wrong to continue someone’s life under these circumstances – I don’t know enough about the case and the situation changes depending on where you read about it. Some sources say she responds to conversation and certain stimulus, others say she is in a permanent vegetative state. Who to believe? The fact that Florida state and, now, after a grisly pantomime, a Federal judge have decreed that the feeding tube should be removed, suggests that the medical prognosis that she should be allowed to die is the correct one. I know that if I was in that situation I would not want to live. The idea of perpetuating life, just because it is possible, is ridiculous. Surely keeping her alive is the cruellest of options? But even then, the manner of the death is horrific. Withdrawal of food and water until death by dehydration occurs? That’s positively barbaric. Surely there’s a quicker and more humane way of doing this?
- Camilla Parker Bowles will not be queen when Charles becomes king. She will instead be “Princess Consort”. Well, praise be! Thank the stars we’ve finally had that one clarified.
- Another day, another gun massacre at an American high school. But you’d be a fool to think that changing the gun laws would make a difference. After all, guns don’t kill people: psychopathic, Nazi-obsessed goths with easy access to guns kill people.
- I know it’s all in a good cause, and it’s “just a bit of fun”, but if I hear that fucking Comic Relief song by Peter Kay/Tony Christie one more time I swear I will go on a killing spree of my own. Is This The Way To Amarillo? No, it’s the way to irritate the hell out of the whole country. Peter Kay, the backlash starts here.