- Johann Hari got there before me, and went into far more detail than I can be bothered with, but it needs to be said: Little Britain really isn’t very funny. At first I thought it was amusing enough, if downright shameless in its blatant plagiarisation of The League Of Gentlemen in terms of both theme (the twisted underbelly of everyday British life) and characters (don’t tell me that Marjorie Dawes, the sadistic weight loss support leader, isn’t just a carbon copy of TLOG’s Pauline Campbell-Jones, the sadistic restart officer at Royston Vasey’s job centre). But now, the show has become a monster: the nation’s favourite programme, a guaranteed ratings hit. Which is depressing, seeing as it’s little more than a franchise for catchphrases – a real comedy basic. “I want that one”; “Eh eh eh”; “Yeahbutnobutyeah”; “I’m the only gay in the village”. Yawn! Give me Extras, Peep Show, Nighty Night or Curb Your Enthusiasm any day. One of the new Little Britain ‘characters’ (an elderly woman with no control over her bladder – yep, pure comic gold) was criticised this week for making fun of incontinence and being ‘offensive and in poor taste.’ Being offensive and in poor taste actually often works in comedy. But not being funny? That’s a definite no-no.
- Well, the new licensing laws came into effect (although too late for poor George Best – RIP). Society is still intact. Shaky as ever, but intact.
- The Vietnamese rule of law stipulates that, if found guilty of having sex with children, Gary Glitter could face death by firing squad. Oh well, don’t let us stand in your way. So long, Gazza. Your legacy? A collection of shit glam rock and your name immortalised forever as cockney rhyming slang for a part of the human body that isn’t mentioned at the dinner table.
- Shocking news revealed today. Apparently, and this may shock many of you, some of the men in the Royal Marines don’t spend their spare time playing chess and discussing the works of Schopenhauer. Incredible.
- According to Site Meter, Liberal Elite today passed the 10,000 visits mark. Hurrah!
- Brrrrrrrr. Fucking cold, innit?